The goal of the Photo Friday Challenge is to help you, a writer, envision and write new scenes, to imagine new places, and to kick writer’s block to the curb. I invite you to be inspired by my photos, maybe even write your own description of the photo. OR, better yet, post a photo of your own and write that scene.
Siblings by Theresa Duncan
My dear brother Dale passed away last night. I can’t believe he’s gone. Memories come in floods, just like the tears. Sentences seem impossible to write.
In times like these, I write lists to come back to later.
- riding in your 62 1/2 Mustang when you came home from the Navy
- getting ice cream at the TastyFreeze in Yorkville, just the two of us
- driving me to the five-and-dime to help me buy Mom a Mother’s Day gift
- the carved music box you sent me from oversees
- the charms to fill my bracelet, mostly sent from oversees
- hardly ever missing a Christmas at home
- showing up at my door, unannounced, from 1600+ miles away, 12 pack of Moose Drool or Revolver in hand
- being at all of my graduations: high school (late 70’s), college (2014, 2016)
- tickets to a Paul McCartney concert in Missoula, Montana
- Missoula Osprey baseball games together
- summer brewery tours, self-guided and fun!
- trips to Montana ghost towns and Glacier National Park for photos
- sitting on my back deck, trying to capture pictures of hummingbirds and black bears
- camp fires in the front yard; s’mores with my grandkids
- Family Reunion 2016! Montana. Good times!
- watching John Wayne movies – a lot!
- always being proud and supportive of your baby sister; thank you!
There are so many more memories. But for now, a toast:
Safe travels, dear brother. Rest where the beer is always good, always cold, where Dad and Mom are waiting; where there are never any green fees and the baseball is always pro.
Here’s to you, bruddah-man. I love you!
Sometimes words aren’t good enough….
Until next time… ~T
At Stacking Stones Writers, I seek to create a community of writers, a place you can go to find encouragement for your passion – writing. Please follow the Stacking Stones Writers blog to have easy access to all the tips, tools, and ideas shared here. Thank you!